Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 16:28:16 -0600
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel stops when APM is loaded

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Bruce Campbell wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 1999, Colin Eric Johnson wrote:
>
> colinj> I'm having some trouble with my latest kernel build and I'm wondering if
> colinj> anyone else has seen this.
> colinj>
> colinj> Machine:
> colinj>
> colinj> 	Dell Lattitude CPi 266
> colinj>
> colinj> I've just rebuilt a kernel as of this morning (following a cvsup). When I
> colinj> boot with this new kernel all seems to go well until the kernel probes the
> colinj> APM device. At this point the kernel just sits there. I can reboot with
>
> On my Omnibook, circa the same build will reset the machine at that point
> (the last thing I see is psm being found, must put it onto serial console
> to capture the message)

Well, the problem that I am seeing is more like this:

As the kernel is loading it's reporting back what devices are found. When
it gets to apm0 it reports that it found it and that it is of type 1.2 and
stops there. It is almost as if it is spinning it's wheels waiting for
something. The keyboard doesn't respond to ``normal'' keypresses but a
CTRL-ALT-DEL does get captured by the kernel and the machine reboots. I
don't get this behavior with a kernel built on (or about) May 4th
(3.1-STABLE) but I do get it with any kernel from subsequent builds.

Can anyone point me to any changes in the APM code (or the code that it
interacts with) that might be where this problem is occuring. I'm not
really sure how to check what, if anything, has changed in the apm code.

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-syntho-magnetic musical sounds