Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:27:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      ninjaz@webexpress.com
To:        "Keyes, Randall" <randall.keyes@jnli.com>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>, "'feedback@linux.com'" <feedback@linux.com>
Subject:   Re: I need to learn UNIX --- Free BSD or Linux?

Randall,

Solaris x86 is almost exactly the same as Solaris/sparc in the commandset.
The differences I've found are related to the PROM settings that sparc
systems allow and that the video card settings are handled by a tool
reminiscent of other x86 video card setup tools.

If you want to truly get to learn Unix-type operating systems, I think
both Linux and FreeBSD are excellent.  Since they've got rich user
communities, HOWTO's, Guides, websites with articles, and the tools they
use tend to have full documentation (which you don't even need a PDF
viewer for. ;)

The differences between BSD and SysV are fairly small from the admin
standpoint.  The ones that spring to mind right now are:

init scripts (what runs at startup)

Linux distributions handle this in a variety of ways, some BSDish, some
SysVish and some using the method Red Hat came up with in a moment of
twisted humor.

System commands -

Linux allows you to use either SysV or BSD command-line switches with ps,
BSD (as the name would suggest) uses the BSD style, and Solaris has its
default ps (in /usr/bin) and a seperate ps in /usr/ucb/  In practice, this
is the difference between using ps -ef or ps -aux.

To see the system calls a program is making, this varies by OS:

Solaris: truss
Linux: strace
FreeBSD: truss
NetBSD: ktruss

You'll find that some of the tools the proprietary unix operating systems
ship with are a bit nasty.  Eg., for a long time Solaris tar would choke
on long filenames, and still won't use the 'z' switch to uncompress
.tar.gz files on the fly.  This is easily fixed by downloading tools from
GNU, but whether your manager will allow you to install a bunch of GNU
tools varies by environment.

Packaging methods:

Solaris uses Solaris packages for everything (including core system
programs), FreeBSD has core system sets, much like Solaris, but it's not
divided out into packages.  FreeBSD does use packages for non-core
softare, though (and ports, for the source code version of same).  Linux
varies by distribution.  Package formats in Linux include rpm, deb, slp,
and tgz.  Of course, in any of them you can just compile stuff from
source.

Anyway, for a free Unix OS I would suggest using either a distribution of
Linux which is not primarily aimed at former windows users (Debian at
http://www.debian.org/ would fit the bill here) or FreeBSD.

Regarding the Windows 2000 machine, I think the biggest hoop to jump
through to get another OS going will be resizing its filesystem.  There
are free tools to resize filesystems for the DOS-based windows systems,
but not for the OS/2-based ones (i.e., nt and 2000)  You may have to use
soemthing like Partition Magic (unless windows 2000 has its own resizer)

					-pete