Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 13:19:04 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marc Dodsworth <marcd@tpg.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum question (warning long message)

On Friday, 31 December 1999 at 23:31:39 +1030, Marc Dodsworth wrote:
> Hi
>
> Got a little problem with vinum.
>
> I am creating a Raid5 array using 5 x 300Mb drives and have a little problem.
>
> Then I can create the file array with "vinum create zen) and it works fine.
> Configuration summary
>
> <snip>
>
> V RAID                  State: down	Plexes:       1	Size:       1200 MB
>
> P RAID.p0            R5 State: init	Subdisks:     5	Size:       1200 MB
>
> S RAID.p0.s0            State: empty	PO:        0  B Size:        300 MB
> S RAID.p0.s1            State: empty	PO:       32 kB Size:        300 MB
> S RAID.p0.s2            State: empty	PO:       64 kB Size:        300 MB
> S RAID.p0.s3            State: empty	PO:       96 kB Size:        300 MB
> S RAID.p0.s4            State: empty	PO:      128 kB Size:        300 MB
>
> how ever when vinum starts (vinum start) I get a warning about defective object
>
> Warning: defective objects
>
> V RAID                  State: down	Plexes:       1	Size:       1200 MB
> P RAID.p0            R5 State: init	Subdisks:     5	Size:       1200 MB
> S RAID.p0.s0            State: empty	PO:        0  B Size:        300 MB
> S RAID.p0.s1            State: empty	PO:       32 kB Size:        300 MB
> S RAID.p0.s2            State: empty	PO:       64 kB Size:        300 MB
> S RAID.p0.s3            State: empty	PO:       96 kB Size:        300 MB
> S RAID.p0.s4            State: empty	PO:      128 kB Size:        300 MB

That looks the same as before.

> and when I try to newfs the plex (newfs -v /dev/vinum/RAID (or rRAID) it comes
> back with.

This is a feature, not a bug.  Your subdisks contain inconsistent
data.  To quote vinum(8):

     init [-S] size [-v] [-w] plex | subdisk

             vinum init initializes a subdisk by writing zeroes to it.  You
             can initialize all subdisks in a plex by specifying the plex
             name.  This is the only way to ensure consistent data in a plex.
             You must perform this initialization before using a RAID-5 plex.
             It is also recommended for other new plexes.  vinum initializes
             all subdisks of a plex in parallel.  Since this operation can
             take a long time, it is normally performed in the background.  If
             you want to wait for completion of the command, use the -w (wait)
             option.

Greg