Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 00:53:36 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        John Murphy <john@t-f-i.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slices named X in FDISK

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 05:22:53PM +0000, John Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000 02:07:27 +0000, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 01:56:26AM +0000, John Murphy wrote:
> >> Can't seem to find the answer to this: HELLLP!
> >>
> >> Trying to install both FreeBSD 3.2 and win95 on the same Seagate HD
> >> model ST38410A 8.4G
> >>
> <snip>
>
> >> FDISK Partition editor shows this: (after I create the slices I want)
> >> Disk name: wd0
> >> Disk Geometry: 1048 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 16836120 sectors[1]
> >>
> >>    Offset      Size       End   Name  PType     Desc   Subtype   Flags
> >>         0        63        62     -       6   unused         0
> >>        63    931707    931769  wd0s1      2      fat         6   =
> >>    931770     64260    996029  wd0s2      3  freebsd       165   C=
> >>    996030     16065   1012094  wd0s3      1 OS/2 bootmgr     10  =
> >>   1012095  10281600  11293694  wd0s4      4 extended         5   =
> >>  11293695   5542425  16836119    X        3  freebsd       165   =>
> >>  16836120      5544  16841663    -        6   unused         0   >
> >>

> >>         How can I use the "X" slice as (say) wd0s5?
> >>

> >Your 'X' partition, which *must* be a primary to use for FreeBSD comes
> >after the extended partition. This is not allowed. All primary
> >partitions must come before the extended partition.
> >
> >HTH
>
> Hi Mark
> Thanks for your reply; unfortunately it didn't help. It was easy to
> rearrange the partitions so that the extended partition was after the
> FreeBSD slice using PQMagic, but FDISK merely named the extended
> partition wd0s4 and named the area _before_ it "X"!

Arghh, sorry! I didn't spot it originally. You can only have a total
of 4 (DOS) partitions, either 4 primaries or, as you already have, 3
primaries and a single extended. This is a limitation of PC hardware,
not the OS. You will find that you won't be able to use this free
space to create another FAT partition either.

There's only 2 things I can suggest:

1. Get rid of the OS/2 boot mangler and use the one that comes with
FreeBSD.You can then delete the partition it is using.

2. Using PQ Magic move the extended to the end of the disk. Put the
OS/2 boot mangler after the FAT and make the remaining space, between
OS/2 and the extended, into one big FreeBSD partition. If you are
trying to set up 2 partitons for FreeBSD so that you can have a
separate ``/'' and ``/usr'' then you do this with the FreeBSD fdisk
within a single (DOS) partition. Remember a DOS partition is a FreeBSD
slice and that it then sub-divided into (FreeBSD) partitions -
different terminology.

Sorry again for the original incorrect info.

HTH

> My most recent attempt was to have nothing but unused space above wd0s3.
> I then used FDISK to create a 5542425 sector slice named wd0s4 and the
> rest of the install went well. I can now boot either OS as planned.
>
> However: Neither PQMagic or DOS FDISK can create an extended partition
> in the 5GByte of free space.
>
> Surely there must be a way to do this. If FreeBSD is limited to 4 slices
> per drive then I need to be able to make it ignore slices it doesn't
> need to know about. Or something...
>
> John.

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000