Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:24:35 +0100
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        "G D McKee" <freebsd@gdmckee.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Jail USER in HOME dir

> What I am trying to do is give my friend FTP access to his home dir.

That should be even easier! If you use the ftpd that ships with FreeBSD,
you can just create a text file /etc/ftpchroot and insert the name(s) of
the users you want to chroot in their homedirectories.

> Also, Is there a way using IPFW to limit the bandwidth allocated to certain
> ports.

Yes. You need to build a kernel with at least the following options:

options         IPFIREWALL
options         DUMMYNET

Dummynet is the traffic shaper in ipfw. It works perfectly with natd.
Using dummynet you can create traffic "pipes" with characteristics like
delay or maximum bandwidth. If you do:

% ipfw pipe 1 config bw 20kBytes/s

you'll have a pipe that will be able to pump 10 kilobytes per second. You
can route traffic through this pipe by inserting an firewall rule, for
example:

% ipfw add 500 pipe 1 tcp from 172.18.0.0/16 to any 6688
% ipfw add 501 pipe 1 tcp from 172.18.0.0/16 to any 6699

will pipe everything that comes from my local network 172.18.0.0/16 and
goes out to ports 6688 and 6699, which effectively places a bandwidth
restriction on these traffic -- my roomates running Napster in this
example ;) See "man dummynet" for a detailed description.

Good luck,
walter

--
I DON'T CARE WHERE, JUST FAR