Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 19:50:29 +0200
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
Subject:   Re: BSDCon East

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 03:19:03AM -0400, Thomas M. Sommers wrote:
> Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> >
> > ... this is a wide-spread belief and--excuse me--pure rubbish.
> > I have _A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language_ by Quirk
> > et al. sitting here, which explains the "non-existent" intricacies
> > of English grammar on nearly 1800 pages. And it's probably not
> > exhaustive.
> >
> > For many linguistically naive people, the simplicity of a language's
> > grammar seems to hinge on the degree of inflection. Having a few
> > noun cases, adjective/noun agreements, and a few verb conjugations
> > does not make for an objectively(!) difficult grammar. English has
> > the same complexity, it's just expressed differently. Once you get
> > beyond the basic level of "me Tarzan, you Jane", English syntax
> > becomes fiendishly difficult.
>
> In what ways is it fiendishly difficult?  Many so-called grammatical
> rules, such as to not split infinitives, are nothing but some 18th
> century antiquarian's idea of what the language should be, not what it
> really is.

There are many, many complex syntactical constructions which are
difficult for a foreigner to understand and master. Consider, for instance,
just off the top of my head, "many a X", or "Would that Y". Such
constructions aren't covered in dictionaries or texts for foreigners.
How would one know that the former is used as a deliberate archaism?
Consider a sentence going "Granted, X has blablabla..., but...". How
is a dictionary going to help a foreigner to parse it? Granted what?
Granted who to whom? :)

As another random example, speakers of Slavic languages often find
it intensely difficult to remember and obey the time-shift rules in
English, or the no-double-negatives rule.

English syntax *is* fiendishly difficult, no in the least *because*
it's so irregular: "rules" are violated so often that one has the
feeling that anything goes -- except that it doesn't.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/