Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:05:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>, Andy Wolf <Andy.Wolf@nextra.de>, Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com>, Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
Subject:   RE: DNS: having domain1.com and domain1.net point to the same  IP.

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Jim Weeks wrote:
> Subject: RE: DNS: having domain1.com and domain1.net point to the same  IP.
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, John Turner wrote:
> > At 08:24 AM 9/29/2000 -0400, Jim Weeks wrote:
> > >The general consensus throughout the industry seems to be that C names are
> > >evil.
> >
> > I've never heard this.  CNAME records have a very specific use, when used
> > that way they work great.  CNAME records are for roles, not hosts.  If I
> > had to use A records for all of my DNS records, it would take hours of
> > management per week.  Once I have A records in place, I use CNAMEs, this
> > makes changes very easy.
> >
> > >I have never been bitten by just using A names.
> >
> > True, to a point.  Get hundreds of A records, and you'll get bit by not
> > having enough time in the day to keep everything straight.
>
> I'm not sure I understand how adding an A record is any more time
> consuming than adding a C record.  How are they harder to keep strait?  I
> may be doing unnecessary work.

Must not have to renumber things very often is my guess... If there are
multiple 'CNAME's pointing to an 'A', then you only have *one* address to
renumber and percolate through the planetary DNSs. I host various
functions for several domains and 'CNAME's have been my friend. I try not
to use 'MX's point to 'CNAME's, however, as that *has* caused problems. I
am *amazed* at the number of MTAs that try 'A's even though 'MX's exist.

'CNAME's are not inherently evil in themselves, but some are misused - Jy@