Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:38:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Poor state of some top-level FTP mirrors

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Will Andrews wrote:

> Please tell us how other OS projects update their packages
> without this kind of problem.  What do they do (or not do) that
> we don't (or do)?

their release trees are structured differently.  i am not making
a judgement call here (i hear equal amounts of religious statements
on people who love freebsd's package management and other OSes
systems..) so please don't see any of this as my preference.

o redhat has a package management system that is built into the OS
  tree.  because the OS tree is quite "static" this lends itself well
  to a single fetch and then periodic (but much smaller) updates
  via a separate "update" tree.  packages that are not released via
  the OS are available via a separate "contrib" tree.  they have been
  less than good about keeping this updated but at least it does
  have some theoretical structure for how to add things later.

o debian has a system which divides the OS and packages into separate
  trees via "dist" and "pool".  the pool area changes a fair bit but
  only certain packages get rebuilt/updated - not the entire poo.

o a lot of smaller OSes have some combination of the above but again
  the main difference from FreeBSD would be that they only rebuild/release
  packages that have been updated or have been patched for security
  reasons.

i am making the assumption (that could well be completely wrong)
that the freebsd package trees are completely rebuilt for each
tree (packages-4-stable/packages-5-current) and architecture at
roughly the same interval (weekly?) necessitating a refetch of
the whole tree - is that correct ?

regards,

-jason