Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 1997 17:24:36 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997 16:05:29 +0000 (GMT), Stephen Roome
<steve@visint.co.uk> wrote:

>There isn't much of an option of paying more though. I can hassle the
>boss, but it's not going to help. I can't donate any money, I can't even
>afford a new motherboard to support the MMX processor I stupidly bought.

Since any contributions would be _voluntary_, those who can't pay
don't have to.

>Like many small ISP's and almost any company, paying for anything is not
>natural until it's time to go to court, donating money is just not going
>to happen.

Perhaps for those happy with the status quo.  But any company using
FreeBSD for mission critical purposes has a vested interest in its
continued success and development.  Those who want to influence its
future can be heard by contributing money to a developers fund.  The
developers who are paid from that fund would likely listen to the
wishes of the contributors.  Those who are not able or willing to
contribute can sit on the sidelines and watch.  They can cheer all
they like, but they can't step onto the field and play.

John