Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:58:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recursive diff? How?

On 17-Oct-2001 Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 07:57:24AM +0200, Micke Josefsson wrote:
>> In my attempt to port uClinux development environment to FreeBSD I have
>> edited
>> many files down the uClinux source directory. Is there anyway of doing a
>> recursive diff so that it would also be easy to patch a newly installed
>> source?
>>
>> diff -r seems ok, but when I patch with the result it wants me to specify the
>> exact filenames. Is there a better way? CVS?
>
> The 'diff -r' should handle this fine. Are you running the 'diff -r'
> in the same relative location to where you are running the 'patch'
> command or using the -p option correctly? Are your running the diff(1)
> command someplace where you have different directory name in between
> the pwd and the source files than on the machine you run patch(1)?

Thanks for bothering with this but I just can't seem to get it right.

Lets get down to cases (I've tried every combination I can think of:).

in my ~/tmp I have two source trees. One original and one modified:

        src src.orig

I make a diff as per man page of diff:

        diff -crN src.orig src > src.diff

How do I apply that src.diff onto the 'real' original sources at
/opt/uClinux/src?

A simple 'cd /opt/uClinux; patch < src.diff' wont do it. Nor any combination of
-p[1-7].

I have also tried going down into /opt/uClinux/src etc to no avail.

This is really embarrassing. (as well as annoying:)

If you'd help me I'd be ever so grateful.

/Micke