Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:00:32 +0200
From:      Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Mike Meyer: Results of my installation marathon

Hi Mike,

hope, you had a nice weekend without silly questions about FreeBSD installation
and so on.

Now I want to stretch your patience a little more, but first, I'll tell you what
happens:

OK, first on friday I did a 'cvsup -P m stable-supfile' to get the newest
sources'. After that I did a 'make buildworld'. Everything went well, so I start
a 'make buildkernel' as you told me with a make.conf file in /etc of the master
(content: KERNCONF=MASTERKERNEL SLAVEKERNEL). The first problem occured, because
on the screen I recognized, that make uses the GENERIC kernel file. I stopped
the action and did the actions by hand ('make buildkernel KERNCONF=MASTERKERNEL'
and 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=SLAVEKERNEL'). That went well.
The next thing I did was on the slave: 'make installkernel
KERNCONF=SLAVEKERNEL'. No error messages occured, but: make write the *.ko files
into the root directory / and not into /modules. After restarting the slave the
way you told me ('shutdown -r now' and 'shutdown now'), lots of error messages
occured on the screen. Some hardware wasn't found (hardware, that was included
in the old slave kernel, but not in the new one, I had modified to meet my
hardware). Several times the message 'stray IRQ7' occured until another message
told me that this error will not be logged any longer.

This problem didn't change after doing an 'make installworld' and a
'mergemaster'. So I think, that there  is a merging between the old version and
the new build one, and I don't know why! By the way, the same problem occured on
the master as well.

So here is my daily amount of questions:

1. Do I have to modify the '/usr/src/Makefile' by  including the
'/etc/make.conf' and if yes, at which position I have do include this statement?
If no what did I wrong?

2. Is there a known problem in the last version of FreeBSD which caused these
installation problems? I had a FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE version from 18th of September
and everything went well, now with 4.4-STABLE the described problems occured.

3. What does the 'stray IRQ7' message tell me?

Have a nice day,
Thomas

PS: There is just anoher thing, I want to mention: I have to mount the /usr/obj
directory and the /usr/src directory of the master direct to /usr/obj and
/usr/src on the slave. If I do it with a e.g. /mnt directory, the making of
installkernel on the slave doesn't work because of the directory entry. Is this
right???