Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 22:47:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jay <jay@oneway.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .nfs files, what causes them and why do they hang around?

> Note that if the server goes down *and* the client goes down, you
> may be left with "stale" versions of these files, which you then
> have to manually remove.
> As a general rule, you should "find" files matching this name format
> and older than twice the longest reasonable expected use of an unlinked
> file by a client to delete them.  The others may still be in use.

   So what is _supposed_ to happen to these files?  is the nfs server
supposed to remove them automatically?  Or are they just supposed to
hang around till I kill them on the server?

   Also, I read in a couple mailing list archive messages that the nfsv3
in 2.2.x is not stable, is this true? should I be using nfsv2?

Cheers,

Jay