Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:05:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinions on HP ScanJet 5P, please

> I've just been offered an HP ScanJet 5P second hand for about $150.
> Is this a good deal?  Any war stories?

not 100% sure on the model, the one i had was a SCSI model @300dpi
which i thik was the ScanJet 5P but i might be wrong.

When it worked it worked nice, but after 200 or so scans and 6
months of life it started a "graceful degradation" -- first lost
BW at 300dpi, then 200dpi, then no more grey, then no more output
in any mode, and the carriage would not stop at the end of the scan
(or returning) and hit the case. It seems a very cheap design at
least in the mechanical part -- there is no end sensor so if the
encoder goes out of sync you are screwed and you need mainteinance.

No easily available NT drivers for what matters...

To summarise, i am quite disappointed with the product. I paid it
new about US$200+vat a couple of years ago.

	cheers
	luigi