Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:08:50 -0500
From:      "Clark C . Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: pmap_enter

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 12:30:16AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
| Mike Makonnen wrote:
| > It seems to me that you are showing only the last part of the trace,
| > which shows where a second panic occurred. While that may also be an
| > issue the real reason for the panic occurred earlier. Please post the
| > complete trace.

Thank you Mike, I'll do my best to duplicate it, I'm not an
expert.  It seems that I have the problem (panic) when ever
a program core-dumps.  But that said, I'm getting core dumps
fairly easily... is the memory file system stable?

| You faulted on a 4M page mapping for which backing store was
| not assigned.a

By "backing store" you mean "swap"?  I don't have a swap space,
although I do have 1GB memory and I'm not using much memory.

| You are not permitted to create 4M pages without assigned
| backing store (basically, you can't page them in and out).

Ok.  This is swap related... I'm running with just a read-only
CD-ROM and a MFS.  Must I have a swap?  How do I tell FreeBSD
not to use a swap?  I have /var and /tmp as a MFS.

| Probably you are doing something incredibly weird that you
| are not allowed to do, but don't want to tell us about...

I'm trying to run FreeBSD without a disk (but with plenty
of memory and a CD-ROM boot device).

Thanks!  Clark