Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:24:05 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS service with a SQL backend

Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Thursday 21 July 2005 02:25, Daniel Marsh wrote:
>

>>The only issue I foresee is having to have slightly different zone names
>>that you wish to serve for each IP range.
>

> Not true.  Zone *files*, yes.  Because of the wonderfulness that is NAT, my
> LAN's nameserver gives different answers based on whether the query comes
> from the LAN or the Internet.  My named.conf looks similar to:
>
>     view "private" {
>         match-clients {
>             !127.0.0.1;
>             !::1;
>             localhost;
>             "lan";
>         };

right - but for a setup where u want to filter by country, setting up a
different zone file for each country and keeping it up to date is far
more complex than powerdns' solution. BUT it is definitely an option
I'll keep in mind (periodically generating the zones based on the data
from RIR) in case i need to use bind for other reasons.

thanks!