Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:52:43 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade recommendations

On 2002-10-16 15:12, Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org> wrote:
> >FreeBSD the hardest thing to beat into peoples heads has been "don't use
> >-current on critical machines."
>
> Thanks for insisting on that too! I don't have, by any means, a
> "critical" machine - it's just a play web site and mailing list -
> but I do like to have them up, so perhaps I'll stay away for now.

5.0 is now very near to being released, and the team of people who are
working on making it a stable enough system that is worthy of being
cut in stone as 5.0-RELEASE will certainly be very grateful for extra
testing.  But you should only run -current if you have the time to
follow the latest changes closely, since there are still a few bumpy
points.  Bearing that in mind, I have run -current at my workstation
at home ever since I remember me switching to 3-current and it's not
very difficult to keep it stable if you are cautious when upgrading to
avoid the occasional periods of serious problems.

Giorgos.