Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 10:47:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        testing@tourneyland.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie: Sendmail doesn't work (how vague is that)

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999 testing@tourneyland.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed FreeBSD, on a machine I want to be a web & mail server. A
> friend actually did most of the install, which included sendmail. So far,
> that machine doesn't seem to be receiveng email. I've tried sending to
> root@167.44.32.82 (well that's not my real ip but you get the idea), and
> nothing happened. That seems to me to be about as basic as it gets. I can
> send out from that machine (both locally and to the outside world, i.e.
> hotmail), but not receive. Why would that be?
>
> I think there's a clue, in that I just checked root's email, and it got
> something that says "Mail received for refused hosts: (my ip address)" or
> something like that. In other words, it looks like it's not configured to
> accept email sent to itself. This seems weird, but I read in a book on Unix
> S-A I bought that there's a file called sendmail.cw I think, that's the
> list of supported hosts. That file doesn't exist. Is that my problem?

Yuppers.

in the file "/etc/sendmail.cf" there's a line:

# file containing names of hosts for which we receive email
Fw-o /etc/sendmail.cw

you need to stick a file with all the hosts you want to accept mail
as in that file.

> I apologize if this is a mind-numbingly simple question - I'm a programmer,
> but I know NOTHING about Unix, not even Linux (well I had it installed for
> a few hours but that's it). I've been reading the BSD Handbook and my Unix
> book but I couldn't find anything quite this simple. There's a lot of
> encouragement to get the O'Reilly sendmail book, but I'm a bit spent out
> for this month.

You picked the right forum for your question, nothing to be sorry about.

good luck,
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]