Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2001 06:39:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      walton@digger.net
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD lockup accessing serial port on Thinkpad

Howdy folks,

I'm running 4.4-Release on my Thinkpad 770z, and I've just run into an
unexpected problem with my serial port.

My kernel config has the standard entries:

   device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
   device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

And here are the relevent bits of dmesg:

   sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
   sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
   sio0: type 8250
   sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
   mwave0: <mwave> on isa0
   Mwave Modem, UART settings IRQ 0x3   IO 0x2f8
   sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
   sio1: type 16550A

So what I've got here is the regular serial port on sio0 and the mwave
modem on sio1.  The mwave modem was surprisingly easy to get working, and
works well for ppp via /dev/cuaa1.  But I recently had a need to use the
serial port, and discovered that accessing it via /dev/cuaa0 causes FreeBSD
to lock up HARD, leaving no other option than a powerdown.

To determine if this was caused by a software conflict, perhaps with
mwavem, I tested it in single user mode, with the exact same results.

I haven't a clue how to diagnose or cure this problem.  Suggestions,
anyone?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. - I've had to resend this message through other than my usual channels, because the freebsd mailing lists are refusing to accept mail via pbi.net.  I don't suppose anything can be done about that?

.