Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 23:50:09 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        "(Satoshi Asami)" <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: extremely slow cc1plus

John Polstra wrote:

> On 20-Nov-98 Satoshi Asami wrote:
> >  * > Hm.  The compilation (of this file) just finished, I think it took
> >  * > about 10 CPU minutes.
> >  *
> >  * Welcome to the wonderful world of C++.  It's the best thing that ever
> >  * happened to Starbucks.
> >
> > Ok, so it's normal?  Thanks, I won't worry about it then.  It's just
> > the package building machine, I can leave it to run as long as it
> > desires.
>
> I can't say for sure that it's normal.  Ten minutes is a long time
> to compile one file.  I suppose it might take that long if the file
> expanded a whole bunch of templates.  Since it eventually finished,
> I guess it was making some progress the whole time.
>
> Let's see, what's the package building machine again?  Is it a 386/20,
> or did they upgrade it to a 25?  Also, does it have the full megabyte
> of RAM, or just 640K?  These things make a difference, you know ...  ;-)

I've got a machine sitting in the floor here: Cyrix 486/66 + 4 MB RAM +
2.2.5-RELEASE. top(1) shows ~75% idle because the swap activity is
through the roof. Could someone mail me a 4 MB 72-pin SIMM? :-) a 16 MB
SIMM would be nicer, but I'm getting bugged that a 386DX-40 has shamed a
486/66. I couldn't get FreeBSD to boot with two megabytes of RAM. Like
an idiot, I sat there and watched it go belly-up four times before I
remembered how much RAM was in. (2x 1M 72-pin SIMMs)
--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>