Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:04:52 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        ler@lerctr.org
Cc:        lists@tekengine.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: openoffice 1.0.1

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To: Chris Kulish <lists@tekengine.net>
Date: 16 Oct 2002 23:04:00 -0500

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 22:55, Chris Kulish wrote:
> Is this the same package I would be getting from the ports system?
YES. built by the port maintainer.

the 1.0.1_4 is current as of today.

>=20
> Thanks!
> C Kulish
>=20

Between top-, bottom- and mid-posting this thread is=20
getting rather hard to follow.  Apologies to readers=20
for not unmangling it.

Bottom-posting is considered better, generally.  When=20
replying to parts of long posts, inserting your=20
replies after the specific points you're replying to=20
is helpful.

OK, now to the substance.  I'm coming in late to this=20
thread, so pardon me if I explain something you=20
already know.

The package is the same *version* as the port.  The=20
package is pre-built - it is very similar to what=20
would be built on your system with a successful=20
install from ports.  All other things being equal,=20
ports are generally considered the way to go - you get
applications built on your system and optimized for
it.  When all other things are *not* equal, such as
when a port will not successfully build on your
system, a package offers a convenient way to obtain
an application in pre-built form.  In your situation,
the package looks like the way to go if you want
OpenOffice up and running on your system.  If you're
keen to work out what the problem is and don't mind
taking some time to do so, stick with your efforts to
get the port to work.

Jud