Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:45:10 -0700
From:      Edwin Ng <eng@everyone.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v. "the world" ...

> I think an excellent case is Hotmail whos front end stuff runs on
> FreeBSD and backend on Solaris, they pretty effectively broke down
> what needed to be where based on cost and performance objectives.
>
> Simply put, if FreeBSD saves you time and money on software and
> hardware costs and the impact on running a mixed shop isn't signifigant
> and not going for it doesn't make much sense.

We are considering to deploy freebsd for our web-based services
too. We are currently using mostly Solaris, but we are attracted
to the cost/performance ratio of linux and freebsd too. We will
be doing some benchmarking to see which platform really provides
the number. Any suggestions on things to look for will be
appreciated.

One of the concerns I have with freebsd is the lack of widespread
support from software and hardware vendors. With Linux, it is getting
so much momentum that it is really not an issue anymore. With
freebsd, it is just not very clear. One example is the administration
of large installations. Solaris and Linux have jumpstart and kickstart
respectively to support robust and consistent machine build.
The closest I found in freebsd is etherboot, but the documentation
is lacking.

Lastly, is there any article or url that talks about hotmail
using freebsd for front end?

Thanks a lot.

Edwin Ng
Everyone.net