Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 18:31:22 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems

> "Louis A. Mamakos" wrote:
>
> > While we're gonna be changing the default file system characteristics,
> > how about having sysinstall create a reasonable size root file system
> > for today's disks?  I think that if we're installing on a multi-gigabyte
> > disk, a 200MB root file system isn't imposing very much.
>
> Why would we want to do that? Putting unnecessary things on / is always a
> bad idea, as root partition should remain small and as free of frequent RW
> operations as possible. I would prefeer to see /tmp extracted from root fs
> (as a mfs by default), much more than seing a huge / with lots of garbage in
> it. Root should remain compact as it is more or less right now.
>
> Marko

I'm not gonna argue that more stuff ought to be put on the root file
system, but having more breathing room also fixes the "running out of
space when installing a new kernel due to softupdates" problem.  Or
having space more an extra backup kernel (and modules) without worrying
how close to full you are.

louie