Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 14:33:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Satanic logo

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Marco Molteni wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Cliff Addy wrote:
>
> >From chapter 31 of the "Unix System Administration Handbook" by
> Nemeth (a very good book) :
>
>   The words "daemon" and "demon" both come from the same root, but
>   "daemon" is an older form and its meaning is somewhat different. A
>   daemon is an attendant spirit that influences one's character or
>   personality. Daemons aren't minions of good or evil; they are
>   creatures od independent thought and will. As a rule, UNIX systems
>   seem to be infested with both daemons and demons.

	Yes, "daemon" is from Ancient Greek, and had no connotation of
evil.  As mentioned above it is a minor spirit of sorts.  The Greek means
"shining one".  Interestnigly enough another cognate word is "diamond", a
shining thing.

	If only some of these complainers had enough spare brain-cycles to
stop and reflect for a minute of two, this wouldn't be such a big issue.
I say ignore them, unless they won't go away.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,