Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 01:25:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        needinfo@juno.com, FreeBsD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@allegro.lemis.com
Subject:   Re: Service unavailable to grog@lemis.com or grog@freebie.lemis.com

> > WE PREFER ALL CAPS IT LOOKS BETTER AND AS MORE PEOPLE THE USE THIS METHOD
> > OF COMMUNICATION, THE USELESS IDEAS AND CONVENTIONS OF THE PAST WILL FALL
> > BE THE WAY SIDE.   LIKE THE USE OF ALL CAPS IN THE CASE AND THE
>
> AN INTERESTING POINT OF VIEW.  I DON'T THINK IT WILL CATCH ON THOUGH
> BECAUSE OF THE WASTE OF INK FOR THOSE WHO ALSO PRINT OUT ALL THEIR EMAIL
> IN ORDER TO READ IT.  BEST REGARDS AND ALL THAT,

Actually, for non-native English speakers coming from ideogrammatic
writing forms (Kanji, Hangul, etc.), sticking to one case for all
letters reduces by nearly half the symbol space that must be
memorized in order to be able to read.

Not that this would have to be upper case instead of lower case...

A tell-tale question in this regard would be to ask how many
people on this list can "get by" in pidgeon Japanese or Mandarin,
but couldn't read the written form to save their lives.  8-).

Not that I'm asking this question; it's rhetorical, since I already
know the scale of the slope of the answer.

I'm sure that using all uppercase for coded documents is to reduce
by the square of the number of characters in the monocase alphabet
the applicability of analysis techniques.

I'm pretty sure that if you're using "juno", that differential
analysis is the least of your message security worries.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.