Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 09:14:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Issei Suzuki <issei@issei.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSE support for FreeBSD

Issei Suzuki writes:
 > I add SSE support for FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE and 5.0-CURRENT.  Some more
 > work is needed everything to go well, but it works functionally now.
 >
 > The patches and documents are avaiable at:
 >
 > http://home.jp.freebsd.org/~issei/sse/sse.html
 >
 > Limitations:
 >   - Multiprocessor system is not supported.
 >   - There is no exception handler to deal with SSE Exceptions.
 >   - No spaces are available for SSE registers in struct fpregs. So, we
 >     cannot record SSE registers when dumping core, nor access to SSE
 >     registers via procfs.
 >
 > Comments, bug reports etc. are welcome.

Cool!

Have you (or anybody else) considered using the PIII SIMD
functionality for optimizing kernel bcopy/copyin/copyout and
checksums?  There are linux kernel patches for this at
http://www.redhat.com/~mingo/mmx-patches

I have a trivial user-level app which shows a bcopy speedup of between
40% (PIII Xeon, 733MHz) and 50% (PIII, 450MHz) when using the kni
memcpy stolen from those patches rather than the bcopy from libc, so I
think it could be worth looking into.

Cheers,

Drew