Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:17:03 -0700
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        friar_josh@webwarrior.net
Cc:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a Mac

On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 02:06 , Josh Paetzel wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 01:20, Kevin Stevens wrote:

>>> Right - I agree with you, Apple will and should stay on PPC and not
>>> x86
>>> hardware, for better or worse. I just agreed they'd have a good system
>>> on
>>> x86 too.
>>
>> Nonsense.  There's a lot more to system architecture than the flavor of
>> CPU, and no reason at all to use a typical PC design just because you
>> choose to use an x86 CPU.   If it was that straightforward people would
>> be cloning Macs now; it's no harder to buy G4s in quantity than it is
>> Xeons.
>>
>> KeS
>>

> In my experience THAT is nonsense.  Go open up a SunBlade 100 or recent
> PPC.  Hell, SGI has given in the point of just using intel cpus.  The
> reason people aren't cloning Macs is legal, not technological.  Apple
> didn't release the Power PC into the public domain ala IBM.

> I guess I still see this a a moot point.  We most likely will not see
> MacOS on any sort of hardware we can homebrew ala today's typical PC.
>
> Josh

I think we're in violent agreement.  My point is that there is nothing
preventing Apple from building x86 Macs such that you couldn't feasibly
run Windows on them, and that conversely you couldn't readily port OS X
to standard Wintel boxes.  Just because it has an Intel CPU in it
doesn't make it a Wintel box.

I'll shut up now before this topic strays any further.  BTW I run
FreeBSD now on my Athlon server because it gives me better mindshare
with my OS X PowerBook than does Solaris.

KeS