Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 19:24:01 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-spam sendmail in 2.2.5?

> At 02:42 PM 10/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >think sendmail shouldn't relay ANY traffic not coming from the box it
> >resides on by default.
>
> Hmm, wouldn't that make things painful for those of us using pop mail
> clients that use smtp to bounce our mail off the server to send?  I don't
> think this is really *that* unusual of an arrangement.

Restricting sendmail to only deliver messages originated on its host is a
good default. Then in the situation for remote POP users we need
documentation on how to lessen the restrictions. Open it up for specific
hosts, or entire domains. The current promiscuous configuration is asking
for trouble at hosts that have full time net connections.

Is POP3 able to run bi-directionally with clients such as Eudora? I've not
seen that option in my Eudora documentation. Maybe its time to move on to
IMAP?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net