Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 06:57:58 -0400
From:      "Stuart Krivis" <stuart@krivis.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCO stupidity

Here's some fodder to throw at the suits if they are arguing SCO instead of
FreeBSD.

I was given an eval copy of Unixware 7. I read some of the docs and installed it.
(Not any easier to install than FBSD, BTW.)

In looking at the licensing instructions, I read that you get a license key from
SCO when you buy the software. Then, when you install, it writes something to
your HD and generates a system ID. You call SCO with your license key and the
system ID, then they give you a registration key.

I called SCO and asked about this. After going through 3 or 4 people who had no
clue, they switched me to the licensing center. And I sat on hold for over 10
minutes. (This does not bode well, but wait to see why.)

I asked the guy who answered, "What if I have a HD die at 2 AM on Sunday
morning?" "I have to replace the HD, then reinstall SCO, so I will have a new
system ID, right? And that means I have to call you to get a new reg key before
the OS will have everything enabled, right?" He said something about it wasn't
very likely I'd have a HD die. I asked if SCO made HDs last longer. He said, "No."

Then he told me that I could get a reg key via the web. So I asked if he was
willing to guarantee the web site would be up and working 24/7. He said he
couldn't guarantee that.

So... I said something like, "Well, then I could be completely screwed with a nin-
functional OS and have to wait until Monday morning until SCO opens before I
can get the key?" He said that was true.

I can just imagine telling users and bosses how you're waiting for the people in
California to wake up and come to work on Monday so you can get the server up.

And this is an enterprise-class OS?

I admit that what I described is not likely, but it could happen. And even a backup
won't help because that system ID is on the HD and a new HD means a new
system ID means a new reg key required.

And the waiting on hold for a long time seems to indicate that they are
understaffed at the license center, so you're going to wait for them in any case.
Not what you want to do when things are topsy-turvy and the phone is ringing off
the hook.

SCO is not something I'd want to get involved with. I refuse to get into a position
where I am completely dependent upon them to be able to reinstall my OS. Even
MS isn't this braindead.

--

Stuart Krivis     stuart@krivis.com
[Team APK]