Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:19:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   TFTP/diskless boot problems since today's cvsupdate

Hello.

Maybe this is something serious - or something went wrong within
our network.

This morning everything seemed to be all right. All of our diskless
X terminals booted as expected.

I did in noon a recent cvsupdate and build a world, new kernel and
rebooted, also our dhcp and tftp server for the terminals.
And now I have this:

  while in the past after recognition of the dhcp server, the terminal
  showed a short time TFTP (Intel EtherExpress NIC with PXE boot) and
  I saw kernel booting.
  Now tftp timed out many times and sometimes it is able to load pxeboot
  for doing the boot strap.

  When I checked the most recent cvsupdate I realized that something changed
  within inetd and tcp facilities.

Can anyone confirm those changes? Has anyone else those problems with tftp?
It is strange that boot process still performs after several timeouts. Sometimes
the terminals boot as expected immediately.
On a headless/dataless client I use a 3Com905CTX NIC. This NIC now does not
boot anymore, but sometimes it does, but this is very rare. I checked the
network, but it hasn't been changed.

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)