Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:23:17 EST
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu@flashnet.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Samba 2.2.1a, PDC, windows 2000 roaming profiles

** Reply to note from Dylan Carlson <damage_z@yahoo.com> Tue, 16 Oct 2001 07:43:43 -0700
(PDT)

> Either Samba or Win2K keeps screwing up the permissions in the roaming
> profiles.  Some files get chown'd as root, and the problems start.   I find
> that if I fix the permissions (and keep fixing them after the fact) the
> profiles work fine.
>
> I have seen numerous postings to samba lists on this problem but as yet have
> been unable to target a fix.
>
> Can anyone advise if this is fixed in a newer (CVS?) version of Samba, a new
> BSD port, or if there are things that need to be adjusted on the [profiles]
> share?
>
> [profiles]
>         path = /data/shares/profiles
>         admin users = root @wheel
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0600
>         directory mask = 0700
>         hide dot files = No
>         browseable = Yes

Putting these lines solved that problem for me:
      force directory mode = 700
      force directory security mode = 700
      force create mode = 500
      force security mode = 500

For some reason it seems Win2000 would change the permission on some directory, this doesn't
happen on NT. Also it seems "directory" mode does not always work with directory, but you
need to use the "file" settings (as you can see above).
All this with Samba 2.2.0 on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE.

 Bye
	av.