Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:35:06 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Philip Hallstrom" <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Putting a USB Compact Flash reader on a FreeBSD system

Philip writes:

> If you get an Sandisk Imagemate there are some
> issues with which model (some of which *look*
> identical).

I couldn't find a SanDisk, so I got an Imation FlashGo, which looks kind of
the same.

> I added this to my kernel config:

OK.  I added uhci, usb, and umass; scbus and da were already there.

> Then enabled usb in /etc/rc.conf.

OK, did that.

> My /etc/usbd.conf looks like this.

Did you edit it to look that way, or did it somehow get that way on its own?
If you edited it, how did you know what to put?

> and an entry in /etc/fstab like this:

OK, I added that with a text editor.

> Works great for me.

What else do I have to do to get it started.  I rebooted and all, and it
seems to be there, but I can't mount it, although camcontrol sees it.  Here
are some salient messages from dmesg.boot after my changes:

[...]
uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xc400-0xc41f irq 10 at device 7.2
on pci0
usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
umass0: Imation FlashGO!, rev 1.10/1.09, addr 2
umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
uhci1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xc800-0xc81f irq 10 at device 7.3
on pci0
usb1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci1
usb1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
[...]
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <OEI-USB CompactFlash 1.09> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 650KB/s transfers
da0: 45MB (93952 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 45C)

So what does this mean?  What state is the card reader in, and how do I get
from where I am now to an accessible file system?  The messages give me the
impression that the device was indeed recognized.  I can also do the
following:

freebie# camcontrol rescan 0
Re-scan of bus 0 was successful
freebie# camcontrol devlist
<OEI-USB CompactFlash 1.09>        at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
freebie# camcontrol inquiry da0
pass0: <OEI-USB CompactFlash 1.09> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
pass0: Serial Number
pass0: 650KB/s transfers
freebie#