Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:38:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@casselton.net>
To:        imp@bsdimp.com, raj@semihalf.com
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARM arch subdir cleanups

> The other thing that I'd like to see is a better defined board/cpu
> initialization sequence.  Or to make better use of the one that's
> defined now and document it better.  I made some bad choices, in
> hindsight, for the at91rm9200 port that are only now becoming
> apparent.

moving the pmap to a recursive page table (obviously the reuse of the L1
would have to be abandoned), would allow for major items to be removed
such as the shadow of the page tables to find the level 2 entries; recusive
page table should work with Sections, Small and Tiny pages. This could go
a long ways to initialize every arm board the same. I can also see that
the pv_array could be removed also because the pagetables are create
earlier and the temporary page table created in locore.S is mapped with
physical == virtual. the new pv_entry chunk code in i386 and amd64 hold
about twice as many pv_entries/page.

The downside, it is a big job.

--Mark Tinguely