Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:12:35 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for home security cameras?

>My house was burgled just before Christmas.  Next time this happens,
>it would be satisfying to present the police with pictures of the
>villains in the act of carting off our TV in our wheelbarrow, or
>ransacking our CD collection.  I'm thinking a few cheapo cameras,
>inside and out, hooked up to a server in an inaccessible spot
>(e.g. the attic) or off-site, after I get a cable modem.  I would
>prefer FreeBSD on the server.  What's the economic way of building a
>system like this?

   You know, I've been thinking about doing something very similar. I haven't
really looked into this much yet, but it seems like one could use a video
capture card like the Hauppauge WinTV along with the ports/graphics/fxtv
software. It looks like fxtv could use some modifications, however, such as
a way to reduce the framerate, to make it more suitable for surveillance
applications. I'm not sure how well this would work with multiple WinTV cards
and cameras, nor do I know how much disk space this is going to eat...but
even having the last few hours of video would be useful.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.