Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 98 13:58:49 -0600
From:      "Jay Moseley" <jay_moseley@ibm.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Filesystem mout failure at boot

I am receiving the following messages when I boot 2.2.5:

swap on: adding /dev/wd2s3b as swap device
Automatic reboot in progress ...
/dev/rwd2s3a: clean, 1803 free (142 frags, 2270 blocks, 0.4% fragmentation)
/dev/rwd2s3e: clean, 688984 free (29728 frags, 82407 blocks, 3.5% fragmentation)
/dev/wd2s3a on /: specified device does not match mounted device
Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted

FreeBSD is loaded onto the disk in the 2nd physical partition (following an
OS/2 boot partition), but the partition table entry used for FreeBSD is the
3rd entry (the remainder of the disk is allocated to an HPFS extended partition
for OS/2 which is recorded in the 2nd partition table entry).

I am able to 'force' the mount by issuing the following commands:

/sbin/mount -w /dev/wd2c /
/sbin/mount -w /dev/wd2e /usr

/etc/fstab contains:

# Device	Mountpoint	FStype  Options		Dump   Pass#
/dev/wd2s3b	none		swap	sw		0      0
/dev/wd2s3c	/		ufs	rw		1      1
/dev/wd2s3e	/usr		ufs	rw		2      2
proc		/proc		procfs	rw		0      0
/dev/cd0a	/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0      0

It seems like this should be correct for the layout of the hard drive. What
have I missed?

Thanks,

Jay