Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:26:03 -0800
From:      Chris Harman <charman@pacificlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation Woes

I installed 2.2.5 on an old 386 ( 8mg RAM, 2 500 mg HD) a year or so ago
and then after a time removed it. Now I am attempting to install 3.0 onto
the same machine (clean) and cannot even get to the install menu with the
3.0 boot.flp( hangs at probing for devices ). I have removed all visible
conflicts.

Using the 2.2.5 boot.flp I managed to start the install but after /bin is
installed and during 'remaking all devices' I get 'awk: internal error'
core dumped'. Needless (?) to say the installation ends up without a
boot.cfg or a kernel.cfg and leaves me staring blankly at the screen
wondering what actually happended here.  I have reattempted installion a
couple of times with the same result.  I am installing over local network
FTP and have tried minimal install and user install.

Anyone? Anyone?

-larry