Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 09:09:11 GMT
From:      bart.lateur@skynet.be (Bart Lateur)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many virtual ttys?

Thanks to both for the reply. I only have a few minor questions left.

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:42:06 -0400, Ray Kohler wrote:

>> I can only see ttyv0 to ttyv7, apart from the console where I logged in.
>>
>> So, question: where have the other 8 virtual consoles gone?
>
>They still exist, but since there are no gettys running on them, you
>can't use them. Which terminals get which gettys is controlled in
>/etc/ttys.

Is 16 a number that is hardcoded into the system? If only 8 vtty's are
activated, shouldn't the number 16 be reduced? How much memory do these
"16 virtual consoles" take up, anyway?

And if 8 vtty's is too much, shouldn't that number be reduced?

I assume that getty is only necessary for the physical keyboard, not for
external logins. Is that right?

>You can always add more, but it's of course not such a
>good idea to make more terminals than you have F-keys, cuz then you
>can't reach them :)

Oh. I had assumed a mechanism as was used on the Atari ST, where you had
to press one of the special keys (either shift or control, I forgot)
together with the function key. Press shift+F1 and you get F11 (assuming
10 physical keys). These key combinations even had separate keyscancode.

--
	Bart.