Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 02:21:57 -0800
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extreme filesystem sloth

"Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> writes:

> Also make sure you are comparing apples with apples.. I note you said the linux
> box was a different spec - that doesn't make for informative comparisons.

For comparison later on after I've been able to make the changes here
is a reprint of the time on Freebsd and now duplicate manuever on the
same machine but under Linux (Redhat 7.1)

On FreeBSD 4.3

   du -sh mail_test
   94M mail_test

   rm -rf mail_test
      real   7m13.484s
      user   0m0.117s
      sys    0m3.080s

Under linus now and the Directory has grown a bit

   du -sh Mail
   96M    Mail

   time rm -rf Mail
      real   0m1.892s
      user   0m0.110s
      sys    0m1.818s

Roughly 600 % faster on linux, and that is on the same box
(PentiumII 233mhz).

I've got to hit the road now but making the configs will give me
something todo in the Motels... he he.