Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:40:43 -0600
From:      "David A. Bader" <dbader@eece.unm.edu>
To:        dfrasnel@csee.wvu.edu
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports category submission (fwd)

Daniel,

> 	Herein lay a "sticky point" which I may or may not catch flak for
> bringing up.  The folks at the Beowulf project (and now ExtremeLinux) are
> building computational clusters, some which include facilities for DSM.
> Personally, I define a true "parallel cluster" as something which provides
> not only shared processor power, but also shared memory, a distributed
> filesystem, and (to some degree) a shared userspace.

I would include DSM, DFS, etc., as parallel computing tools, but I
certainly wouldn't call them a "true 'parallel cluster'". Many current
supercomputers are logically equivalent to a cluster of workstations
with high speed interconnect, where tasks in a program communicate by
passing messages (e.g. MPI). In my research for high performance
computing, I develop the most efficient algorithms which dictate use
of message passing, rather than virtual shared memory, for
performance. This category should be inclusive -- *ANY* tools (above
and beyond standard OS and networking infrastructure) which enable
multiple CPUs to cooperate together to solve a computational problem.

-david

--
David A. Bader, Ph.D.                           Office: 505-277-6724
Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering     FAX:    505-277-1439