Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 20:41:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>, Iain Templeton <iain@research.canon.com.au>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: US checking accounts for non-US residents

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Brooks Davis wrote:

:On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:42:02PM -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:
:>
:> Not that I don't find the idea that when I use another bank's ATM
:> machine I have to pay $1.50 service charge to the bank who owns the
:> ATM, _plus_ another $1.50 to my bank for the honor of getting my money
:> from someone else's machine a bit too much.
:
:What I really don't get is that a substantial number of people are more
:upset that they have to pay the owner of a machine the cost well over
:$50,000 and has hugh maintnance costs due to its mechanical complexity
:then that they have to pay their own bank a similar amount to transfer
:a few thousands bytes of data.
:

The bank of the person making the withdrawal is charged a fee by the ATM
network (Cirrus, Plus, et al).  Some of the money goes to the network,
some to the owner of the ATM.  Your bank is free to charge you whatever
it thinks it can get away with, which may be more than the actual fee,
or it may be less.  (My credit union gives me a free withdrawal (maybe
two) a month).  The owner of the ATM is already making money on this fee
-- the numbers from when the surcharge was introduced were about $.25
profit per transaction.  The surcharge is pure profit.  I see no problem
with complaining that someone is making an excessive return, especially
when it's comming directly out of my pocket.

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.