Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:27:03 +0200
From:      Edvard Fagerholm <efagerho@cc.hut.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DVD burner error

Hello!

I get sometimes the following error when I burn DVDs. Actually it happens
more often than not... When burning a DVD with growisofs, burning stops with
the following message:

acd0 WARNING - removed from configuration
:-( unable to WRITE@LBA=fb150h: Input/output error
builtin_dd: 1028432*2KB out @ average 3.5x1385KBps
:-( write failed: Input/output error
/dev/pass0: flushing cache
(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): lost device
(probe0:ata1:0:0:0): Lost target 0???
:-( unable to FLUSH CACHE: Input/output error
:-( unable to SYNCHRONOUS FLUSH CACHE: Input/output error
(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): removing device entry

The funny thing is that this seems to be very file dependent. If I create an
ISO it might work fine and I can burn it many times with no failures. However,
some files always fail. With burncd I can burn every file, but fixating doesn't
work. The error message I get with burncd is TEST_UNIT_READY Illegal request. I
can get the exact data later (i.e. the next time I want to destroy yet another
DVD).

My DVD drive is an LG GSA-4160B

Regards,
Edvard