Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:37:28 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Roland.Reimer@t-online.de (Roland Reimer)
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Failed installation of jdk1.1.7

> we want to run on our server (solaris - freeBSD) a java-based chat. from
> the beginning we had a lot of problems - it seems with the
> java-runtime-installation.
>
> what we did:
> 1. we downloaded the file jdk1.1.7.V98-11-5.tar.gz
> 3. we gave it the normal name and transfered it to our server to /usr/local
> (as written in the manual)
> 4. we tried to expand the file by the command tar zxvpf
> jdk1.1.7.V98-11-5.tar.gz -C /usr/local, but it did not work (message:
> usage: tar -{txru}[cevfbmopwBHLPX014578] [tapefile] [blocksize] file1
> file2...

If you get this error, you aren't using FreeBSD.  FreeBSD uses GNU-tar,
which supports the 'z' (decompress) flag.  The JDK is a FreeBSD binary,
so it won't work on any other OS.  If you need a JDK for another OS, you
need to download it for whatever OS you are using.

tartchat.sh

> 12. when executing this file, we got the message Couldn't open
> /usr/libexec/ld.so.

This is also indicative on not using FreeBSD.

Again, the JDK is for *FreeBSD*, and not for any other OS.  Even on
those OS's which claim to support FreeBSD compatability (such as BSDi)
it will not work, because it relies on the specific shared library
implementation used in FreeBSD.

Nate