Date:      Thu, 04 May 2000 18:25:15 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error in compiling 4.0 Kernel - ufs_disksubr.c

I just recently installed FreeBSD 4.0 off of the CDs that came with "The
Complete FreeBSD".  In order to have the most recent version of the system,
one of the first things I did was to run  cvsupit.tgz and then successfully
ran "make world".  I'm now attempting to recompile the kernel, and have no
problems issuing the command "make depend", but when I issue the command
"make", I get the following error:

../../ufs/ufs/ufs_disksubr.c:67: warning: function declaration isn't a
prototype
../../ufs/ufs/ufs_disksubr.c: In function `diskerr':
../../ufs/ufs/ufs_disksubr.c:362: argument `bp' doesn't match prototype
../../sys/disklabel.h:450: prototype declaration
*** Error code 1

I've looked through the mail archives but can't find any references to the
above mentioned files.

My hardware is a generic rackmount PC, with a Pentium III 500Mhz
processor.  I'm using the onboard IDE controllers, two disk drives on the
first controller, the first a 12GB drive and the second an IBM 34GB drive
(I'm planning to purchase an ATA/66 controller for the IBM drive).  On the
second controller is a 44X CD-ROM from which I installed the system.  I
have a 3COM 3C905 PCI card and also an Adaptec AHA2940U2W PCI SCSI Adapter
to which is connected an Overland Data SCSI-2 LXM7115 15-slot DLT Autoloader.

The drives are partitioned in the following manner:

/dev/ad0s1a	496111		24682	431741		5%	/
/dev/ad1s1e	32389528	1 	29798365	0%	/hold
/dev/ad0s1f	11368002	999703	9458859	10%	/usr
/dev/ad0s1e	496111		10259	446164		2%	/var
procfs		4		4	0		100%	/proc

Just to double-check if the problem was with changes I had made to the
kernel config, I copied GENERIC to another name, and WITHOUT making any
changes, I attempted to install the kernel.  The same thing happened with
the same exact error.  I ran "dmesg" and looked through the output to see
if there were any errors reported but I couldn't see anything.  I'd be
happy to include the output but don't want to make this message longer than
it already is.

Any ideas/suggestions/pointers?

Any information would be appreciated.

Oscar