Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:05:07 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Moshe Ashkenazi" <moshea@checkpoint.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: "Netstat -s" and pstat -T

[Context lost through top posting.]

Moshe Ashkenazi <moshea@checkpoint.com> types:
> I'm sorry I did notice I wrote "pstat" ;-)
>
> About "vmstat" -
> "avm" is active virtual pages and "fre" is size of the free list
>
> 1. what is free list ?

The list of free pages in memory.

> 2. I know avm include swap file, but if the machine using swap
>    how it still have free memory ?

A number of different ways. If pages are swapped out and then a
process exits, there's no need to swap them in until they're
requested. FreeBSD will swap out pages that it decides are inactive
and put them on the free list. If the process that owns them needs
them before they get used, they get recovered from the free list. If
not, then they're already swapped out and can be given to the next
process that wants memory. Such pages appear on both the free list and
on swap.

Read Matt's paper on the VM system on the FreeBSD web site for more
details. Read Kirk's book on FreeBSD internals for in depth
information.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.