Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:31:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        Vinco Maldini <vincomaldini@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unexpected Soft Update Inconsistency / Cannot Read: Blk

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Vinco Maldini wrote:

> 1) What does the result below mean? (Is my drive failing? Why can't I
> clean the FS?)

[ ... snip ... ]
> CANNOT READ: BLK 152744928
> UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
[ ... snip ... ]

> THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 152744946,
[ ... etc, etc, snip ... ]

Were there any kernel messages displayed on the consoles (the bright white
text)?  If you don't have console access, run the /sbin/dmesg command.  If
you see any ad2 read errors from the console, then you likely have a bad
drive.  On the other hand, if you don't see any errors being reported by
the kernel, then the "CANNOT READ" errors are probably just caused by
incompleted meta-data writes to the drive.  However, "THE FOLLOWING DISK
SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ" makes me think it is a hardware problem.

> 2) Are there any BSD tools for reading the SMART data off the Hard Disk
> so that I can see whether it is about to fail or currently experiencing
> HW failure. Any other ways to check for bad sectors?

I thought that someone asked this same questions a few days ago, but I
can't find it in the archives.  I'm honestly not sure if anything like
that is available.  Searching the FreeBSD site did not yield any results.
My best suggestions is to check google.