Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:12:18 -0200
From:      "Rodrigo A B Freire" <bsdstuffs@brasilia.br>
To:        <teslik@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: subnetting / ifconfig ip allocation problem

    For a correct subnetting, get used to divide the last octet of the net
addres IP [the first reserved one] by the total amount of IPs on your
subnet.

    The result should be round.

    e.g.: you tried IPs 91 and 92, on a 4-IPs subnet. Two of them are
reserved (90 and 93).
    to verify if is 90 valid, divide 90 / 4 = 22.5 . This subnet is invalid.

    But, 92 as net address, 93 and 94 as range ips and 95 as broadcast must
work. (92/4=23)

    Best regards,
    Rod.