Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:44:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   modern ethernet & IP references

An older collegue of mine recently sent me this request:

   I'd like to have a pointer to a reference, preferably not more than
   200 pages, with a subtitle "Everything you ever wondered about
   Ethernet and IP and were afraid to ask."  Let me note that, as
   someone who knew the people who invented ethernet and IP, and who
   has some passing familiarity with these standards and protocols;
   I'd like to bring myself up-to-date on the standards as practiced
   today.

Is anybody familiar with a book or a concise on-line source which
talks about the extensions made to ethernet and ip networking in the
last decade or so (GigE, Channel bonding, VLANs, IPSec, etc).  Most
things that I've been able to find are scattered references all over
the place, or are too old to cover the more modern things.

Thanks,

Drew