Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:49:33 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/hosts file ?  FBSD doc suck

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 01:30:51PM -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> Is this for your self enlightenment, or are you in a position to make
> changes to the man pages as released with the install? I have all ready
> received a acceptable answer to my question. I stated my position on this
> subject and unless you can get things changed it ends here.

Please don't get angry - the cool thing is, *everyone* can make changes to the
manpages that are released, if other people think they are sensible.

However, like someone else said, the man pages are (unfortunately for you) not
intended to be an introduction - most of the time they assume a lot of
knowledge already. I think that what you need is covered by online articles at
http://www.freebsddiary.org/, or other such places (unfortunately I don't have
a complete list available or I'd post it here - but many of the URLs are
referenced daily from this list).

So, while it's definitely useful to hear what you didn't understand about the
manpage, it is not guaranteed that all of your proposed changes will make it
into the released version. Some might however, so please do sent comments.

As for the official way to report bugs (either in the system or in the
documentation) or typos, check out the command 'send-pr' on your FreeBSD
system, or the online form which you can find at
http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html.

Hopefully this will make you feel better!

Cheers,

--Stijn

--
The rain it raineth on the just