Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:42:49 -0400
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        <michael@tenzo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pornography on Yahoo

At 06:55 PM 4/11/2001 -0700, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
> > Based on the Friends I've known, I'd cut her some slack. It's likely she
> > doesn't understand the relationship between Yahoo and FreeBSD but is
> > motivated by principle to raise what she considers an important issue.
> > Compared to her single post, much more noise has been added to the list by
> > all the people who've felt it necessary to respond with ridicule.
>
>And I believe people can keep their damned morals and principles to
>themselves and not try to push them on others.  It would be one thing to
>talk to people in conversation about it.  But to spam an email list with her
>"important issues" is a bunch of crap.

I prefer not to give my opinion of her crusade simply because I feel pr0n
is wrong too.  I, however, would not try to spam people about my beliefs
which brings me to my point.  I am under the impression that this woman
probably did not *know* that she was posting a message to a group of people
that could do nothing about the request she presented.  I like to remember
that many people in the world today are, well frankly, not technically
savvy and are usually short of patience when it comes to finding what they
want on the Internet.  Given this possibility I feel it is entirely
plausible that this woman is reaching out for assistance from whomever she
can while at the same time not paying too much attention about how she is
doing it.

If I am right, and I hope I am, I hope we can put this behind us and move
on with the more important details in life.  I feel it is time go back to
the questions like: "I accidently ran a command my friend gave
me...something like rm -rf /../*/* and now I can't boot into my FreeBSD
box.  What should I do?" See?  We can now go back to answering mindless
questions such as the aforementioned =P

Anyhoo, as a neutral party in this and a mindless victim as well, I part
with this last comment...

BOOYA!

- Jim

PS - I never got the impression she was "pushing" her morals on us rather
than looking for people to fight something she feels is important.  Now, I
shall be checking my *other* inbox that is getting my filtered mail from
"freebsd-wrong-mailing-list@".

buh bye....bye now, buh bye...buuuuh bye

>Just because she's a "Friend" or a
>Quaker, that's doesn't mean she gets any special excuse to push her morals
>on -questions.  If my morals and beliefs caused me to want to push Atheism
>on this mailing list would I get the same "slack" ?  I think not.  Quakers
>are people too, and I could care less what kind of great "Friend" she is.
>If the friends are all about spamming my email box with their morals, then I
>don't consider them a "Friend".
>
> > My hunch is that the Friends would probably view pornography as a violence
> > issue and it's hard to find a religious community that has done more to
> > combat violence in all forms. I have a lot of relatives who are Friends
>and
> > I've always admired their committment to peace, rejection of religious
>dogma,
> > and willingness to put their beliefs on the line.
>
>Who gives a damn how they view pornography ?  I view pornography with my
>DVD-ROM.  Big deal.  So many religious people feel they have a right to push
>their views, morals, and beliefs on others.  I have one thing to say to
>that.  FOAD.

- Jim
- NOTJames
- jconner@enterit.com

- | Today's errors, in contrast:                                           |
- | Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935" |
- | UNIX    - "segmentation fault - core dumped"                           |
- | Humans  - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"                       |
- (To view this properly use a non-proportional font in your MUA)