Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:53:02 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation index latest

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 04:58:06PM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> Furthering this automatically created index of documentation installed by
> ports, I've written a tool that looks through the CONTENTS file of a port in
> /var/db/pkg/* and has a guess at what files to put in the new DOCS file.
>
> It's all _very_ rough, and I'm gonna try and improve it a bit more before we
> take the idea to -ports.
>
> The script is available on http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~andrew/docindex/docsmaker
>
> With information about the index itself on
> http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~andrew/docindex/
>
> As ever, all comments/help/flames welcome!

Good job Andrew!

One thing I noticed is that ``@allfiles = readdir 'portsdir';'' in
docindex.pl seems to list the sub-dirs in creation order, not
alphabetical which would be better.

I've knocked together the following wrapper script to build +DOCS
files for all the ports/packages installed on the system it's
running on. I've run it on mine and now I've got and index of all
the docs installed by ports/packages :)

#! /bin/sh

PKG_DIR=/var/db/pkg

for FILE in `ls ${PKG_DIR}`
do
    if [ -f "${PKG_DIR}/${FILE}/+CONTENTS" ];
    then
#        echo ${PKG_DIR}/${FILE}
        ./docsmaker ${PKG_DIR}/${FILE}/+CONTENTS ${PKG_DIR}/${FILE}/+DOCS
    fi
done

# This is just for testing/debugging purposes to force
# docindex.pl to rebuild the index file

touch -t 9901010101 /usr/local/share/doc/index.html

./docindex.pl

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.