Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:47:28 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav), dchulhan@uwi.tt (Dale Chulhan - Home), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (chat@FreeBSD.ORG), TheTechies@onelist.com (My List)
Subject:   Re: Reserved IP Addresses

At 05:30 PM 2/15/2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

>That's an incredibly bad idea, unless you intent is to stomp
>all over the land grabs, instead of somehow legitimizing them
>by recognizing their "grabbed" status.
>
>I'd have no problem with taking "grabbed" IP addresses, and
>putting them in default firewall rule sets, without attributing
>the grabbers, for example...

The danger in doing this is that it legitimizes what companies
such as HP have done. I always found it amusing that, when
one did a reverse DNS lookup on the addresses HP has grabbed, one
used to get a message saying something like:

"HP.network.printer.uses.this.address.illegally".

The folklore is that Jon Postel did this.

--Brett